Sunday, October 18, 2009

Head scarves, acorns & embroidery from Viana do Castelo

I have been feeling a little under the weather these last few days.
Sorry I could not post earlier.

The head scarf has long been a tradition in Portuguese attire. These days scarves are used more fashionably around the neck. Vintage ones can be expensive but if you are very lucky you can stumble upon them at flea markets. There is a nice photo collection of Portuguese scarves by A Saloia at The Grupo do Lenços.
The above pictured scarf is from my own collection. I don´t know much about it yet or what region it is from as I got it from the "Feira da Ladra" in Lisbon and have not found another like it.  It´s too precious to turn into a purse and I will need it to warm my neck this season.

I am very excited about these new embroideries I found in a small village just outside Viana do Castelo. I can´t wait to use them as features in new bags. Hopefully in the future I will be able create my own designs and have them embroidered.

I love the rich blue and ghingham fabric combination, and the embroidery is all done by hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment