Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Bragolin´s The Crying Boy...one of many


When I am not making bags I like to go to the flea markets looking for vintage and interesting materials that I can use. Without fail however no matter where in the world there always seems to be someone selling a crying boy (sometimes girl) print. I am not sure how I feel about them except that they scare me a little. Bragolin is the artist responsible for this series of paintings which became popular in the sixties and continue to adorn the most unlikely walls to date. The above example was photographed in a pension house, run by an old couple in Sintra, alongside other similar prints of little boys and girls embracing dogs. Still a mystery to me why people choose to hang prints of crying children on their walls. And of course with all great things kitsch there has to be a curse myth.

No comments:

Post a Comment